We are so excited to release our first accessory pattern, the Sun Tote! With three sizes we hope you find the perfect bag for your needs. This pattern works for so many fabrics, and you probably have the perfect fabric in your stash. But if you are looking for some inspiration, we are ready to deliver today!
Before we get into fabric recommendations, there are a few other optional notions.
- Make sure to use a needle that corresponds to the weight of your fabric. A 90/14 is suitable for medium weight fabrics and 100/16 or 110/18 is suitable for heavy weight fabrics.
- 5/8” (16 mm) Metal Snap for the exterior pocket. There are lots of snap kits on amazon.
- Tailor’s Chalk or Washable Fabric Marker to mark your pocket placements. I love this chalk from Etsy.
- Point Turner to get your pocket corners square.
- Safety Pin or tube turner for turning the straps.
- Bulky Seam Jumper for sewing over bulky seams. We have seen these called The Hump Jumper and Jean-A-Ma-Jigs
FABRIC SOURCES AND READY-TO-WEAR INSPIRATION
The Sun Tote is designed for medium weight woven fabric. A heavier fabric will help the tote maintain its shape but will be harder to sew. The minimum fabric required is listed. If you think you will need more for shrinkage, directional print, pattern matching or print repeat, please purchase accordingly.
Suggested fabrics are Canvas, Cotton, Denim, Flannel, Linen, and Twill
I love the Sun Tote sewn up in a heavier weight canvas or denim, 10oz-12oz works great but just make sure you have the right needle size. I also think a textured or quilted fabric would be so cool!
I have no idea why I haven’t sewn up the Sun Tote in a print! It would be so good as a gift bag too.
There are so many cool stripes that would make a great Sun Tote I already have a few.
Find even more fabric suggestions on our Pinterest Board here.
Thanks for checking out fabric options. I can’t wait to see what you create with the Sun Tote pattern – Happy Sewing!